Tuesday, August 26, 2008

a quick introduction

My name is Andrea Swierat. I was born here in Buffalo, New York and currently reside in the village of Depew. Sadly, this is my final semester here at the University at Buffalo. I am kind of an unique case because I am graduating with both a BFA in Fine Arts with a minor in Communication Design and a BA in Communication. Needless to say the last four years have been quite busy for me. Upon receiving my two degrees in February I hope to secure a career in the advertising field as a junior designer and eventually make my way up to a senior art director. If anyone is interested, you can check out my online portfolio.

Aside from school I work part-time as a barista at Starbucks. Not the one on campus, but the one in Depew on the corner of French and Transit Road if you want to stop on by. Over the past three summers I have also worked as a design intern at Delaware North Companies, Fisher-Price and most recently Travers Collins & Company. Even though they took up most of my summer I greatly appreciate the experience they have given me and know that they will benefit me when I start to apply for jobs at the end of the year.

In my spare time I enjoy watching shows such as The Office, Grey's Anatomy, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and basically anything on HGTV. I also tend to listen to music when I working because it inspires me and keeps me focused. You can usually find me listening to alternative/indie rock bands like Coldplay, The Shins, Death Cab/Postal Service, Modest Mouse and so on and so forth. In terms of movies, I enjoy ones that are also on the indie side of the spectrum. Some of my favorites are Garden State, Closer, The Darjeeling Limited, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Crash. If you haven't seen any of these movies, I highly suggest that you go out and rent them immediately. I am also a big advocate of the "green" movement. It really doesn't take a lot to make a difference. People need to stop being lazy and ignoring the problem because things like climate change are not going away and they will only continue to get worse in the future. If you are interested in what creative options are out there, visit the Inhabitat website.

In taking this course, I hope to achieve a better understanding of how the internet is structured internally. Already being a avid user I know how most things operate; however, I want to dig deeper and discover why. Hopefully by the end of the semester all my questions will be answered. Last, but not least, here is a link to the original assignment.

4 comments:

Derek said...

Welcome to the class! Great first post.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I took some time to look through your online portfolio, it is fascinating and I truly mean that. I love how you attack every aspect of art, and I will definitely pass your name along if I know of anyone that could be potential employers. Good luck with everything, and congratulations on all the work you have done over the past four years.

trhersey14 said...

What did you do for Delaware North?? I work for them, but I'm a bartender at HSBC Arena and I doubt that's what your internship was. I'm interested to check out your portfolio, but it was taking too long to load, so i'll have to check back later

Seth Sininsky said...

I'm also interested in communication design. Your portfolio is really good.